Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

So...how/in which ways do you people think Maruo will continue to power up?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Wayne Low

Wayne Low

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

As of topic.

I think one aspect that will be explored will be a customized racket as briefly touched on about Nabae's persistence on using perfectly tuned one. 

What do you people think? A breakthrough in unique strokes/technique or physique development?

Let discuss Those who have read ahead are welcome to shed some lights, though with spoiler tag please!

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 13,499 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

You might be right about equipment, though Nabae is able to do that because of his status and the manufacturer support..........I don't know if we'll see that sort of thing with Maruo or not.

I'd expect more of the same, continued physical development and the improved techniques and skills that come with it, along with the improvement that comes with more and more experience of a higher and higher level.

Tn7HA0h.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

Sure, but that's no fun.  That's the problem with realism--no super secret shots or stuff. ;)

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 13,499 posts

So true...........well, it is a shounen title, so maybe we still have a chance of some sort of Dragon Ball, hyperbolic chamber transformation or something :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Wayne Low

Wayne Low

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Hrm, for all I see, Maruo has similar traits as Nabae but Nabae does it better along with better technique (one handed backhands and vast experience). It be hard to see him overcoming Nabae if he is going to make 1/81 or change of pace his primary weapon. In fact, I think Maruo already realised through this current match with Nabae that he is truly lacking in certain departments and the arsenal to outlast Nabae in a prolonged match especially when he started to get serious. Out of desperation, he even try to force a zone.

So, my guess would be developing a specialized technique that is unique from everyone else, like a niche.

As for the zone, which is a legitimate phenomenon in sporting scene is something I speculate Maruo will be able to control at will to a certain degree in the much later stages maybe?

Keep the comments coming :D

Cervance

Cervance

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

I doubt Maruo will have any real control of the Zone for a while. He'll probably use risky shots, aiming on the line (like his couch suggested just before his second encounter with Nabae). I'd like to see Maruo improve his drop shot as well; it could become a relevant weapon in his change of pace strategy, perhaps more so than a stronger flat.

Wayne Low

Wayne Low

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

I doubt Maruo will have any real control of the Zone for a while. He'll probably use risky shots, aiming on the line (like his couch suggested just before his second encounter with Nabae). I'd like to see Maruo improve his drop shot as well; it could become a relevant weapon in his change of pace strategy, perhaps more so than a stronger flat.

I am interested to see a possible evolution; like something he discovered from sheer chance that would be considered a niche cuz it does seems like Maruo is running into a wall with his techniques apart from sharpening them (also a given that I have not read the future raws too).

Jonnylove

Jonnylove

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I see three things, really.

1st, to generally improve in all aspects. I'd like to see him put more action on the ball. Mix in various sidespins.

2nd, to become a top flight returner

And 3rd, to start taking the ball extremely early. In this manga they're calling that a "rising shot". When you take the ball earlier, that effectively makes it faster (since it gets to the other side of the court more quickly.) His strength is his vision, so he has the talent to take the ball early.

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas remain humane.--Kilgore Trout

wigjump

wigjump

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
One word: 'roids. Then his balls shrivel up and drop off. Then Nacchan breaks up with him and dates Nabae.

The End! lol
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." Seneca the Younger

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 13,499 posts

One word: 'roids. Then his balls shrivel up and drop off. Then Nacchan breaks up with him and dates Nabae.

The End! lol

goodness, can you even imagine mr calm, cool and collected Maruo having a roid-rage episode??  O_o

:D

Tn7HA0h.png

Jonnylove

Jonnylove

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Roger Federer has pretty much the same motion on all his serves right up until wrist pronation. Which means after he's tossed the ball, he can still change his mind as to which serve to hit.

Some returners take one return position, then, when the toss is made, move. They're hoping that the server will have chosen a serve optimal for their apparent return position, but they'll now be in a different position for which the chosen serve is sub-optimal.

So when Federer puts the toss up, if he hears movement at the other end of the court, he'll sometimes change his mind mid-motion as to which serve to hit. Marou also has the same motion on all his serves till late in the motion, so I'd like to see him try that. With his size, that's the sort of crazy yet subtle display of technical mastery he needs to eventually win major titles.

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

That sounds pretty cool.

harryisme

harryisme

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

The current front page appears to be a clue, looks like he goes back to the US, and starts playing beach tennis, which I guess might teach him to hit more volleys or something.

Nik

Nik

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I hope power-based shots will be implement in his change-of-pace shot.. Because it seems there are certain shots like topspin and slice which really lacking in power and his opponents will be more stronger...And strengthen his 2 shots technique that he learned in Florida, in case he fought someone like Okada again, because long rally really not suited when facing him.. 

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Locationitaly

during the match against Nabae and Okada, we saw that his principal techniques are the his flats, which are the ones that should be the shoots to kill. When he went to America, he learned that instead of going for a three step pace, he should have gone with a 2 step pace, but even though he did some training for reinforce his hips, he is still wanting on that department. Since his speed cannot be improved, because he started training at sports pretty late and he cannot improve dramatically anymore, i think he should train his overall power and his flat in particluar. Moreover he should go for a 1/63 as a standard and 1/81 when attacking as a default.

Nocte

Nocte

Potato Spud

• tC Donator
  • 30 posts

He's still very young, there is plenty of time for his body and bones to improve before 25 when it's pretty much set in stone for the rest of his life, his continued physical conditioning can power him up to his ideal tennis "when every ball can be reached and returned, theoretically there is no way to lose" that's what he's been aiming for.

He can also improve even further on control past 1/81 that's just the current mark he's using at the moment.

If he's able to start returning service aces and forcing volley battles that he can use change of pace and control shots on it'll go much different than the last fight against Mr. Super Negative, alot of those service aces could have been turned to points or breaks.

Jonnylove

Jonnylove

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'd still like to see him really focus on taking the ball early. And though he hits slices, he doesn't seem to be great at it. I'd like a training sequence where he really works hard on developing a low, quick slice with a lot of sidespin on it. that can really screw with people.

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Locationitaly

i dont think he'll go for hitting the ball any earlier. he needs time to think, and every split second is vital. 

gaiafires

gaiafires

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

he will shoot LAZORS from his eyes and do gravity shots like Prince of Tennis

realistically tho I am going for growth spurt and more power/reach myself

Edited by gaiafires, 21 May 2014 - 05:09 PM.

ike5421

ike5421

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

He is going to practice control with his jump shot.  and continue strengthening exercises.  It would be cool if he was able to do different kinds of jump shots and do at least 9 square control.  He should also practice being able to do them off of different receives so that he can use them more often.  other then that he will probably just do more of the same, increase control and number of attack patterns.