Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Koto Music

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

-____-'

-____-'

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

So I tried to find some of the songs mentioned/played in this manga but nothing came up. Could be because I was searching in English, but either way I'd really like to find more koto music. I just don't really know where to start.

Here's one I found

Jae

Jae

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 20 posts

Hello -____-'

(lmfao @ ur username)

Weeks ago, I shared this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Db88Ef6FQ

It's a song from the manga! The one that the members played to the school.

Chiisana Yume

Chiisana Yume

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

To be honest, I had really high expectations, cus the manga conveyed the "damn that was so awesome" feeling so well. But then when I listened to the real performance, I was really disappointed :(  IMO, there's a huge problem with the koto: it's too unbalanced because there's no bass. I play piano, and the left hand is very important in adding weight to the piece. But the koto is all strings, and so all the sounds are high and there's no solidity to the music. Although there are bass stringed-instruments (ex. cello), those add weight because they're played with a bow, so their notes are long and serves as a reliable ongoing bass. But the koto is plucked, and so this doesn't happen.

tl;dr
Real life koto isn't nearly as awesome as the manga makes it out to be. Go play the piano instead :D

yvestar

yvestar

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Eh I still love the sound of them. I don't know much either but here's an awesome less traditional one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmY1WieykpE

And a cover of an alternative rock song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2glu3WLGk

MagicWafflez

MagicWafflez

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOhio

To be honest, I had really high expectations, cus the manga conveyed the "damn that was so awesome" feeling so well. But then when I listened to the real performance, I was really disappointed :(  IMO, there's a huge problem with the koto: it's too unbalanced because there's no bass. I play piano, and the left hand is very important in adding weight to the piece. But the koto is all strings, and so all the sounds are high and there's no solidity to the music. Although there are bass stringed-instruments (ex. cello), those add weight because they're played with a bow, so their notes are long and serves as a reliable ongoing bass. But the koto is plucked, and so this doesn't happen.

tl;dr
Real life koto isn't nearly as awesome as the manga makes it out to be. Go play the piano instead :D

First of all, I don't get why you're hating on the koto so much

• the bridges are adjustable, notice that each persons is in a different position, so they can play different notes.
  • the person playing Satowa is playing a 17 string koto, also known as a bass-koto. she can play low notes but they need her in the melody
  • Playing a dedicated bass part is really freaking hard so their newbies can't do it yet.
  • Why are you complaining about the instrument they're playing when that's what the manga is about??

Second, a bass string instrument doesn't need a bow.

• the Bass which is lower than a cello can be plucked or bowed. =_=;
  • Plucked string instruments carry a sound over longer periods by not dampening it after it's plucked.
  • Pianos (which are pretty much string instruments) have dampeners that are lowered when you release the key (because it will keep projecting the sound otherwise)

Third, I don't get why you thought it was going to be anything different. They're playing a newbie song because they're newbies. Yeah the manga made it look awesome but it's a manga. I feel the same way about stuff in piano no mori but I don't go on jcafe complaining about pianos.

anyway, you killed my buzz so I'm killing yours ^_~

I thought it sounded awesome...

edit: killed MY* buzz not by lol

Edited by MagicWafflez, 05 July 2014 - 11:12 PM.

Evilnemesis

Evilnemesis

Potato

• Members
  • 124 posts

First of all, I don't get why you're hating on the koto so much

Yeah I don't really get it. I'm more puzzled by the fact he was baited by it? "Not as cool as the manga portrays"

I mean... every single "sport" shonen does this... They make it seem like there's nothing more exciting than what is currently happening.

You see it in sports manga that feature baseball, basketball, football, soccer. 

You see it in manga that feature music, dance, ice skating.

You see it in intellectual sports, like chess, Shogi, Go and other form of gambling manga. 

Don't think you're  going to be as excited about something portrayed in a manga.

Best example of this is when a guy player Go just made a player fall into his trap and suddenly decide to pick up his piece, lift his arm so far up and then slams the piece into the correct place ( not breaking the board in the process, might I add ).

If you think you're going to be as hyped up as that guy about every sport manga... Then you either are a fool or are easily amused.

Edited by Evilnemesis, 06 July 2014 - 11:57 PM.

MagicWafflez

MagicWafflez

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOhio

Yeah I don't really get it. I'm more puzzled by the fact he was baited by it? "Not as cool as the manga portrays"

I mean... every single "sport" shonen does this... They make it seem like there's nothing more exciting than what is currently happening.

You see it in sports manga that feature baseball, basketball, football, soccer. 

You see it in manga that feature music, dance, ice skating.

You see it in intellectual sports, like chess, Shogi, Go and other form of gambling manga. 

Don't think you're  going to be as excited about something portrayed in a manga.

Best example of this is when a guy player Go just made a player fall into his trap and suddenly decide to pick up his piece, lift his arm so far up and then slams the piece into the correct place ( not breaking the board in the process, might I add ).

If you think you're going to be as hyped up as that guy about every sport manga... Then you either are a fool or are easily amused.

xD I know right~♥

I was ridiculously excited the whole time I watched Shion no Ou and I don't even know how to play shogi, they just made it that way

-____-'

-____-'

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Ohey talking about koto music is cool and all, but sharing some more would be better~

ZdrytchX

ZdrytchX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

tl;dr

if you can afford one, how about a harpsichord of a clavichord? One of my brother's friends actually has a harpsichord.

When you press the key on a harpsichord, it kinda just stops and if you push enough pressure, it falls all the way with the tone emitting. A problem with it is that you can barely vary the volume.

pokeroots

pokeroots

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yegQRUhJkuM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzHmSbik8tA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJe_Rfp5HI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnuzI6KdiU

I think these are all the songs from the manga not sure as I can't read japanese