Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why 2 English Scanlations?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

draw2much

draw2much

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Usually there's only one group doing a scanlation per language, but for this series there are two. I'm just curious as to why? Wouldn't it be more efficient for the two groups to get together and trade off on pages? Or do the pages together?

I'm NOT critisizing, I'm just confused!

Edited by draw2much, 04 September 2015 - 06:37 PM.

Ravin

Ravin

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 45 posts
  • Locationeast united states
you are really late about this. both groups are branches from the same group... or was it one of them is branch of other one.... well hopefully you have an idea of possibly why its most likely not possible

otemoyan

otemoyan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Any competition is good.

Ravin

Ravin

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 45 posts
  • Locationeast united states

not always. For scanlation, depending on the manga it can be a waste. (Mainly talking about main stream stuff, not sure about currently, but how they were in the past)

aphelion

aphelion

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

is there a way to block one of them? having both of them appear at follow updates list is a nuisance.

StarvedShark

StarvedShark

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts

is there a way to block one of them? having both of them appear at follow updates list is a nuisance.

You could try following a scanlation group instead of the actual manga. I haven't actually tried doing that though, so I'm not sure how well it'll work.

lygarx

lygarx

Potato

• Members
  • 168 posts

In case someone dies, there is a back up. Same reason why anime will have multiple subs in the same language. It is a good idea to have another group translate their own version just in case something were to go awry 

MoeL

MoeL

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

agreed with draw2much

now I'm afraid to be disappointed when clicking my follow in this series....

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

Gee, maybe both groups think this is a manga worth bringing to non-Japanese readers, and are not sure that the other group is going to keep up with it.  Annoying?  I just wish I could be so annoyed with some of the great manga that seem to have been dropped over the last three or four years.  Kudos to any scanlation group that scanlates  any manga for us non-Japanese readers.  I haven't read a word of this manga yet, but I'm putting in on my favorites list since two groups have decided that it's worth reading.  

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I just wish I could be so annoyed with some of the great manga that seem to have been dropped over the last three or four years.

then you should be annoyed that time is being wasted trying to duplicate released chapters of this manga, instead of being invested in other manga that could be picked up again.

Sociopath Espher

Sociopath Espher

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAbove the clouds

Gee, maybe both groups think this is a manga worth bringing to non-Japanese readers, and are not sure that the other group is going to keep up with it.  Annoying?  I just wish I could be so annoyed with some of the great manga that seem to have been dropped over the last three or four years.  Kudos to any scanlation group that scanlates  any manga for us non-Japanese readers.  I haven't read a word of this manga yet, but I'm putting in on my favorites list since two groups have decided that it's worth reading.  

People needs to stop kissing the butts of the people of scanlation groups . It give them false confidence and arrogancy

2 groups = more than two people are wasting time and effort for a ONE PAGE PER CHAPTER manga .-. ( but honestly , a page is probably 5 minutes of work so .... invalid statement then )

The power of thy Incesity is beyond my Retribution.

The power of thy Incesity shall be our alternative salvation! XD

Rin "Kratos" Kokonoe

(From Mangafox's Forum)

Me gusta

Kuroiikawa

Kuroiikawa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationXillia

One hand, I'm sure everybody is thankful (or should be thankful) for the hard work that is put into scanlating all manga and doujinshi we read. With that having been said, no one likes seeing resources go to waste. I'm sure both groups have a legitimate argument for why they should be in charge of the scanlation of this series, but is it really necessary? Like Viscoun said before, we could be seeing new chapters of old/new projects that have been put on hold, but instead they continue to bicker and feud over petty things and waste time and energy on truly unnecessary chapters. I'm not saying one group is right or wrong, I'm just saying that no one is benefiting from the current situation and it's becoming pretty childish. 

Meiru

Meiru

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 3 posts
  • Location世田谷区

The most humorous thing in this thread is the presumption that either of the groups doing this are in it to fight each other, and that multiple people equals a waste of time. Speaking for myself, and LLS as a group, we do this daily simply because we enjoy it. It helps us practice how to translate over puns/jokes in a 4-koma format. Over the course of doing this, we've learned an interesting way to clean up compression artifacts in raw images, as well as different approaches to redrawing on a small scale--which we've applied to all sorts of other things now. It being uploaded for the world to enjoy as well is but a byproduct, an afterthought, as to why we do it in the first place.

Who are you to tell us that it's a waste of our time?

unicode.png

otemoyan

otemoyan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Well said.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

i'd have to disagree. as meiru said, he is clearly benefitting from the situation - scanlation is a process to be enjoyed, and they don't necessarily do chapters purely out of altruism, or consideration for readers. doing something just because you like it is what being part of this community is all about. only the people who are actually doing something should judge whether it is a waste of time or not.

on the other hand, if, like otomeyan and comadrin, you're using the seeming lack of scanlators around as an excuse to kiss arses and walk around bent over waiting for releases, then all you need to know is that, purely in the context of this discussion, putting out two of the same chapter is a waste of time, in the same way that making two pancakes for a person who only wants one is a waste of time, or in the same way that scanlation, like all other hobbies, is technically a waste of time.

don't take sides, for the sake of your own sanities. there shouldn't be an argument over why two groups of people like doing what they do, or why scanlators should be held in such high esteem. get photoshop, learn it, offer your services, and stop talking out of your behinds. and if you can't do that, then don't blow any hot air over it.

otemoyan

otemoyan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

i'd have to disagree. as meiru said, he is clearly benefitting from the situation - scanlation is a process to be enjoyed, and they don't necessarily do chapters purely out of altruism, or consideration for readers. doing something just because you like it is what being part of this community is all about. only the people who are actually doing something should judge whether it is a waste of time or not.

on the other hand, if, like otomeyan and comadrin, you're using the seeming lack of scanlators around as an excuse to kiss arses and walk around bent over waiting for releases, then all you need to know is that, purely in the context of this discussion, putting out two of the same chapter is a waste of time, in the same way that making two pancakes for a person who only wants one is a waste of time, or in the same way that scanlation, like all other hobbies, is technically a waste of time.

don't take sides, for the sake of your own sanities. there shouldn't be an argument over why two groups of people like doing what they do, or why scanlators should be held in such high esteem. get photoshop, learn it, offer your services, and stop talking out of your behinds. and if you can't do that, then don't blow any hot air over it.

I only said that competition was a good thing - which means that I DO NOT have a problem with two groups scanlating the same manga. I never said any of things you accuse me of. 

Edited by otemoyan, 22 October 2015 - 02:59 PM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I only said that competition was a good thing - which means that I DO NOT have a problem with two groups scanlating the same manga. I never said any of things you accuse me of. 

accuse? lel

you are kissing arses though. comadrin is providing the fallacy, and you're providing the belligerence. that's all i'm saying. ^^

otemoyan

otemoyan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

accuse? lel

you are kissing arses though. comadrin is providing the fallacy, and you're providing the belligerence. that's all i'm saying. ^^

Where? Whose? I'm all ears.

On the second thought I should have simply "liked" Meiru post instead of writing useless crap like "well said". 

You got me there, but still. Aren't you exaggerating?

Edited by otemoyan, 22 October 2015 - 04:07 PM.

Kuroiikawa

Kuroiikawa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationXillia

The most humorous thing in this thread is the presumption that either of the groups doing this are in it to fight each other, and that multiple people equals a waste of time. Speaking for myself, and LLS as a group, we do this daily simply because we enjoy it. It helps us practice how to translate over puns/jokes in a 4-koma format. Over the course of doing this, we've learned an interesting way to clean up compression artifacts in raw images, as well as different approaches to redrawing on a small scale--which we've applied to all sorts of other things now. It being uploaded for the world to enjoy as well is but a byproduct, an afterthought, as to why we do it in the first place.

Who are you to tell us that it's a waste of our time?

It seems like my previous comment was influenced by my own ignorance of the situation. I only briefly scanned through the comments concerning this fiasco, and evidently drew the wrong conclusion. I was under the incorrect assumption that the simultaneous chapters were being posted because one team claims ownership and the other is continuing to post with blatant disregard for the other's claim on this series. I didn't really consider that these were being used for practice/leisure scanlation, so once again, I'm ignorant lol.

Apologies, friends.

Meiru

Meiru

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 3 posts
  • Location世田谷区

I wouldn't really fault you for that. A lot of people tend to come to similar conclusions that there are rules to scanlation. Where there are rules, people are then supposed to follow them. The problem lies in the fact that there are no rules (we are knowingly breaking copyright laws), nor is there truly such thing as claiming a series. There only exists silent nods of agreement. Everyone has the same ability to get a raw page and do what they want with it. Hell, pg183 was done by a few people hours before LLS did theirs, they just didn't choose to upload it here.

That's not to say I, myself, don't think time is wasted in some regard. Having the benefit of being "first" leads me to wonder why the other continues to trail behind when there doesn't seem to be an increase in drive to do better, do it faster. On the other hand, LLS came out of nowhere and seemingly 'hijacked' it from them, so we don't really have the right to judge. While we work primarily for ourselves, we do still care for the series, its author, and the people that read it. That's why we try to fix errors and recombine pages in groups of ten, or seek out a means to work on volume-exclusive pages. Treat it like you would want to be treated, really.

I would love to put and end to duplicate pages, sure, but if it means either party has to willingly give up doing something they enjoy, then I'd rather deal with seeing it multiple times. Better yet, recommend the administration to figure out a way to filter it in their new reader.

Edited by Meiru, 22 October 2015 - 08:49 PM.

unicode.png