Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Thus, I reviewed Golden Kamuy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Swifft

Swifft

Potato

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHamamatsu

And mercy, it was tough:

https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/golden-kamuy/

This is a series that should seem obvious for me to review, given what I've already written about and how I've openly mentioned elsewhere that I read it, but I really held off on doing it because I KNEW it would be tough. The series has SO MUCH TO IT OH MY GOD. Cooking, action, strange humor, adventure, fairly complicated main characters, a bizarre story; it's goddamn nuts. But, there, I did it. Finally. It's a good manga, did you know that?

ROAR! TWIGLION!

Volphied

Volphied

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Nice review and I agree with it, though I think you overdid it a little with all the images. I don't know if you do all your reviews like this, but sometimes less is more.

Swifft

Swifft

Potato

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHamamatsu

How many images tends to purely be based on the manga itself; if I feel it needs pictures to convey what I'm talking about I'll use pictures. Golden Kamuy is a pretty jam-packed series so it ended up having more pictures than usual. Like, perhaps it's a lot but at the same time I don't want to just say something and be unable to back it up with proof (the proof being in the pages). I'll try being more mindful regardless because generally speaking I DO worry about how many images I use, but mysteriously no one ever mentions it...

Thanks!

ROAR! TWIGLION!

darti_me

darti_me

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Just read this and DAMN IS IT GOOD. I think you should also mention the use of a clean art style in a manga with a lot of gore. So many mangas with gore are often drawn so messily to the point that gore becomes the focal point rather than the story. I get that its a useful element in depicting the horrors but I often find that it distracts the reader too much and generally off-putting in a visual perspective. Also is it me or is Sugimoto's character design a homage to Jotaro (JoJo)?

Swifft

Swifft

Potato

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHamamatsu

Just read this and DAMN IS IT GOOD. I think you should also mention the use of a clean art style in a manga with a lot of gore. So many mangas with gore are often drawn so messily to the point that gore becomes the focal point rather than the story. I get that its a useful element in depicting the horrors but I often find that it distracts the reader too much and generally off-putting in a visual perspective. Also is it me or is Sugimoto's character design a homage to Jotaro (JoJo)?

That's actually a good point and maybe the reason the gore doesn't really bother me (I'm often bad with gore, period).

As for Sugimoto...probably just you. I guess you mean by his hat/hair? I'd actually put him more as Joseph if anything for his scarf, but even then nah I can't imagine it's an homage.

EDIT: I put in a little mention of the clean art style in the review.

Edited by Swifft, 06 December 2016 - 01:10 PM.

ROAR! TWIGLION!

djalexdubcheck

djalexdubcheck

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationKoriko

Nice review and I agree with it, though I think you overdid it a little with all the images. I don't know if you do all your reviews like this, but sometimes less is more.

Not in this case.

Why being an asshole about it ? He puts the number of images he sees fit for the review, and I'm grateful for that